Follow Me on Pinterest

9.12.2011

Striped Skirt

Over the Summer we were given a sack of hand-me-down clothes for Ady from a cousin.  Ady and I went through them and decided what to keep.  Ady doesn't like tank tops so she decided not to keep the one that was there, but I like the stripes in it so I decided to use the fabric for something else.  It is a nice stretch jersey fabric and was still in good condition so I didn't want to throw it away.  At first I thought I would take it in a bit and make a dress for Evy, but I decided that the way the straps were would be complicated to take in without looking strange.  I forgot to take a before picture, but here is a picture of what is left.  You can get the idea of what it was.
I started by cutting off the top part.  I cut it straight across.  Then I turned it under and sewed a casing for elastic.  I measured the waist of one of Evy's skirts and cut my elastic to that size, then fed it through the casing and sewed it closed.  


I had one long strip of fabric left so I cut it in half to make two flowers.  To make the flowers I sewed a loose stitch all the way across, then pulled it to make a ruffle on one side, then twirled it around into a rosette.  I sewed one onto the skirt and then decided to make another to sew onto a T-shirt.  I decided to make it into a pin rather than sew it on so the T-shirt can still be used under dresses. 

Here is the finished outfit.

I think it turned out so cute!  

It started out as a girl's size 7/8 tank top and is now a 6-12 month size skirt.
Since the tank top was a hand me down, the total cost for the project was basically free!  I had the shirt already, and it can still be used for other outfits.

Here is Evy modeling her new clothes :)


She isn't standing independently yet, so it was hard to get a good shot of her in the outfit.  She loves to stand hanging onto furniture though, so I tried some different poses.



This project was so easy!  I will definitely be on the lookout for other T-shirts and Tank tops to make into skirts for Ady and Evy.





DIY under $5

7 comments:

Kris said...

How cute! I want to do some fun sewing, but I just have too many other things to get done right now.

Heather said...

I know what you mean. I have so much stuff I want to be doing. I actually sewed this the same day I made the dresses. It was really quick.

candy's clothes closet said...

SEW cute:) You are definitely becoming a re-fashionista:)!!! Evy is such a cute little model. I love that you have been sharing your fun projects with us. Do you have your fall decorations out? You should post pics when you do. You're house is always so adorable for fall:)

Unknown said...

She looks adorable in her new skirt! Great eye. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Tamdsgns said...

Soooo stinkin cute! love it!

Lauren said...

Too cute. Stopping by from Show & Tell Saturday. We get a lot of hand me downs too and there are always such scantily clad clothes in some bags. Do people really dress their children like that, I wonder? Anywho, I haven't parted with the things we won't use for this very reason. Someday I'll make it into something different. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ai Matsuoka said...

Hi Heather,

It is Ai from Tulips and butter. the skirt you made is so cute! It is so dunny because I just recycled my daughter's oold summer dress to make a futon set for a doll. :)

It is impressive that you have 4 children and have time to do a lot for kids and blog.