A few weeks ago Ady and I were thrift store hoping and came across a really cute women's skirt, but not in my size. It had a nice wide waistband and I thought it might make a cute dress for Ady. We also found a similar skirt in my size, so we bought them. Now I am not much of a seamstress. I can only do basics, but I am learning. When I got home and took a better look at the skirt I bought to make into a dress, I realized that it wasn't going to be as easy as I had originally thought. The pleating on it isn't uniform so it will be more complex to take in. I will work on that one next. The skirt I bought for me was cute, but not extremely flattering, so I decided to use it for the project instead, since it was constructed the way I needed it to be for the dress.
I forgot to take a picture of it before I started, but this is basically what it looked like, except I have already cut off the excess fabric. First I had Ady try it on and we held it up to were she would wear it. The skirt had a side zipper that I wanedt to utilize for the dress, so I kept that side intact. I pinned it on the opposite side to were it would be in order to fit around Ady's chest. I was worried that I might not leave enough for the seam allowance, so I ended up being a little too cautious and left a bit too much room. She will be able to grow into it this way. With the excess fabric I made straps and then the remainder was used to make a matching dress for Evy.
It needed a little something, so I pulled out some hot pink ribbon and sewed in onto the waistband.
There are definitely flaws, but overall I am so pleased with how it turned out. There is no way I could have made a dress as complicated as this if I had started from scratch. I will definitely be on the lookout for similar styled skirts at the thrift store to do this again.
I was hoping that there would be enough of the whole skirt left to make an identical dress for Evy, but it was a bit too narrow. Fortunately the skirt was full enough that there was still lots of fabric available to use though. I ended up going with a pillowcase style dress, loosely following this tutorial at Naptime Crafts.
Its a little big right now, so it should fit her for a while. She wasn't very cooperative with trying it on over and over as I made it, so I had to do a lot of guessing. Also, I was mostly working on it while she was asleep!
Isn't she cute?!
Here they are together :)
The total cost of the Project:
$4 for the skirt, I had the ribbon on hand, but It was probably about $2 worth.
I did have to buy pink thread, so that was another $2.
So about $6 for 2 sweet little dresses! Not bad!
I have always had a dream of making cute matching dresses for my two sweet little girls. ♥








7 comments:
Heather you are just amazing and I am so impressed. The dresses are adorable!
They turned out just beautiful:) You did a wonderful job with the pictures too. You are so crafty:) You should start doing re-fashions more often.
Those dresses are SUPER cute!!! The girls are adorable. What a great idea!!!
Adorable! I love polka dots!
How very thrifty of you! I just love sisters in matching dresses, your girls are adorable!
You did an amazing job - well done! I love looking for XL skirts just to re-use their fabric, I also like looking for thrifted dresses to turn into aprons! Saw you on linky party and now google following you, please pop by, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com
Love the polka dots with pink ruffles. Too cute! I just had a photo shoot w my 2 little boys and have a pic just like the oe of them standing and looking at each other, so cute! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $15!
Post a Comment