The snow and sleet are falling, the presents are wrapped, the gingerbread is baked. Only 2 more days and it will all be over! The kids have been so excited and eager for this day to come. We have been counting down on our two advent calendars.
This one has little doors for each day until Christmas. Behind each door I have placed either pieces of a tiny nativity, or little slips of paper. When they pull out a nativity piece we read the coordinating scripture that talks about that part of the nativity. The little slips of paper have activities and things on them. Some examples were Sing Christmas Carols and have hot chocolate, watch a Christmas Movie and eat popcorn, Make cookies, Make a Christmas craft, deliver secret santa treats to someone, and so on. The kids take turns opening the doors. They have had so much fun with it that they asked me if we could have this every month! One thing I did to make it easier on me was to make sure that the activities that I put into each door would fit into our schedule for that day and then I wrote that on my calendar so I could make sure I was prepared for that activity when it came. I loved this so much I am sort of hoping I find another one on clearance after christmas so I can have one for each kid to open or have one with activities and one with treats or something like that.
This is our other count down calendar. It has little numbered pockets and in each pocket is a little ornament to hang on the tree. I bought this and it just had a star that you move from pocket to pocket. Then I saw a friend of mine had something like this that her sister had made for them, so I found little ornaments to put in the pockets. It is much more fun that way. What I would really like is to find 24 little Christmas pins to put in the pockets that way I don't have to use safety pins to hang the ornaments. I will have to look for them for next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment